55Kab
14 years ago

Herbie is definitely real - he was at Hessisch! I was also told not to refer to him as "it". He doesnΒ΄t like it apparently!:d

JD wrote:

Glad to hear that, you had me worried.

I was dreaming about him only the other night...errr hang-on, or was that Lindsey Lohan...oh it's so confusing! :lol:

Standard split
14 years ago

I think they would rubbish it if they new the car was made in December 52.This alone makes the milelage claim invalid as the records he kept were from 1951. :lol:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Nonsense. They and VW Motoring can see it's a Zwitter style body.

Even if the mileage could only be dated from 1952 – it would still be a hell of a lot.

Unlike Herbie(s) Rattletrap is real and there is just the one. Rattletrap's history and story knock all other old UK VWs for six :twisted:

Many love Rattletrap, and some just want to rubbish it 😳

Rattletrap has done a lot to increase the interest in early VW's with its TV and magazine appearances 8)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
14 years ago

I doubt anyone working on the programme in question would have an extensive knowledge of the finer details of early 1950s Volkswagens. It would have just been something to fill time before the next set of adverts... Much like most of their output, then.

64rotbox wrote:

It featured throughout this main ITV London news programme while driving round-and-round the cleared studio area and was certainly not an advert 'filler'.

This made good publicity for early VWs too. Many viewers would never have seen such an early VW8)

Probably should go into the Wolfsburg VW Museum for that alone:o

The car is pure VW legend for sure:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Mike Peckham
14 years ago

Probably should go into the Wolfsburg VW Museum for that alone:o

Standard split wrote:

I'm not trying to be controversial here, but I always understould that it had a place earmarked in the VW Museum but VW decided that after it had been rebodied it couldn't realistically be considdered to be the same car and thus no longer felt that it should be in the museum.

I love Rateletrap too, but I think one has to take much of what Tony said with a pinch of salt. VWM used to say that Rattletrap didn't necessarily add up on all counts and Tony himself said after the restoration that the only thing left on the car that was original was the gear knob. I doubt that even that could have been original as the chassis was replaced int the early 70s for a post 08/55 version so presumably that would have required a cranked gearlever? :?

For all that, it remains a great piece of history and as you say, has done loads to promote early VWs.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Standard split
14 years ago

I'm not trying to be controversial here, but I always understould that it had a place earmarked in the VW Museum but VW decided that after it had been rebodied it couldn't realistically be considdered to be the same car and thus no longer felt that it should be in the museum.

I love Rateletrap too, but I think one has to take much of what Tony said with a pinch of salt. VWM used to say that Rattletrap didn't necessarily add up on all counts and Tony himself said after the restoration that the only thing left on the car that was original was the gear knob. I doubt that even that could have been original as the chassis was replaced int the early 70s for a post 08/55 version so presumably that would have required a cranked gearlever? :?

For all that, it remains a great piece of history and as you say, has done loads to promote early VWs.

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Tony used to make his gear knob quip long before the truck badly damaged Rattletrap.

The car has had so much replaced during its life, that alone makes it worthy of a place in the Wolfsburg VW Museum. This is testament to how durable the Beetle design was and that parts are interchangeable through the years, giving the car almost endless life.8)

With such a colourful history – a great exhibit:lol:

mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes I agree with you totally. Thats what I think about the car too :beer:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes I agree with you totally. Thats what I think about the car too :beer:

mrsherbie wrote:

After spending so long in an obscure motor museum, I think that Rattletrap should go on show at Wolfsburg someday.:beer:

It'll be the star there 😎

GKL 7
14 years ago

It'll be the star there

Standard split wrote:

Here we go again............... ROPMFLOL.

Sunroof53
14 years ago

Nonsense. They and VW Motoring can see it's a Zwitter style body.

Even if the mileage could only be dated from 1952 – it would still be a hell of a lot.

Unlike Herbie(s) Rattletrap is real and there is just the one. Rattletrap's history and story knock all other old UK VWs for six :twisted:

Many love Rattletrap, and some just want to rubbish it 😳

Rattletrap has done a lot to increase the interest in early VW's with its TV and magazine appearances 8)

Standard split wrote:

I wasnt talking about VWM but the feature in Volksworld that you were talking about.Clearly they think the car was a 51.
Standard split
14 years ago

I wasnt talking about VWM but the feature in Volksworld that you were talking about.Clearly they think the car was a 51.

Sunroof53 wrote:

A '51 it is then – not a '52 – I used to think it was a '53 once.:twisted:

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

ItΒ΄s probably all three!:lol: :lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

JD wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Many a true word spoken in jest.
Standard split
14 years ago

JD wrote:

I still think there's four 'Beetles' hiding in there, but at the root is Tony's beloved '51 – which is what counts[-x

55Kab
14 years ago
Well I for one for really like to know the answer to this seemingly unsolveable mystery. Where is Baz Haselock???

Standard split
14 years ago

I still think there's four 'Beetles' hiding in there, but at the root is Tony's beloved '51 – which is what counts[-x

Standard split wrote:

Well I for one for really like to know the answer to this seemingly unsolveable mystery. Where is Baz Haselock???

55Kab wrote:

Perhaps he's in there too:lol:

Rich Oakley
14 years ago

55Kab wrote:

I seem to recall that 'Bearded Baz' had a price put on his head in the mid-90s when he closed his workshop. I think he'd upset some people, but I can't remember the exact story. I last saw him skulking in the back of Kingfisher Kustoms' old workshop in about 1996.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
14 years ago

I seem to recall that 'Bearded Baz' had a price put on his head in the mid-90s when he closed his workshop. I think he'd upset some people, but I can't remember the exact story. I last saw him skulking in the back of Kingfisher Kustoms' old workshop in about 1996.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Seems like Rattletrap will keep its secrets forever:p

Sunroof53
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

Chassis No 1-0433703 makes the original rattletrap a December 1952 car.How can you validate mileage history from 1951 for a car that was not built for another 2 years:roll:
Standard split
14 years ago

Chassis No 1-0433703 makes the original rattletrap a December 1952 car.How can you validate mileage history from 1951 for a car that was not built for another 2 years:roll:

Sunroof53 wrote:

IF records start late '51, then '51-late '52 is only ONE year.[-x

The mileage from '52 on would still be incredible.:shock:

It probably began life as a '51, just not much left, that's all:lol:

Rattletrap's a VW legend regardless 😳

48REME
14 years ago
I find this never ending thread such a depressing bore. Anything else on the menu?