kelvin
16 years ago
hi,has anybody had problems of 1.6 tp stanard engine overheating on motorways /long journeys,any solutrions possible.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
djkeev
16 years ago
Hi,

Please, more information.

What is it in? bug ? van ? thing ? type 3 ????

What year and body is it in?? convertible? hardtop??

Does it happen all the time? Winter, summer, extremely hot days, cold days, does it happen immediately or after an hour or so??

How fast are you driving when it happens?

Do you live in mountains or the plains?? Does it make any difference what terrain you are on when it happens??

Does it Only happen on the motorway (Interstate or Freeway in my world, ironically also called Parkways in spots! then again at rush hour our freeways often become real parking lots, ahhhh maybe Carpark. We Americans LOVE our cars even when stuck in miles of endless parked traffic!)

Does it ever happen when stuck in Traffic?

How long have you had this car?
Has it always happened or is this a new problem?
Did it start after any particular repair was made to the vehicle?

It could be a number of things but we really need a lot more information.

It is like a detective novel, the more clues we have, the better we can make an intelligent assessment.

Good Luck with this and send more information.
Thanks

Dave

"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
harveypj
16 years ago
I had a 1600 tp engined bay a number of years ago and never had any problems with over heating.
I often hear of type 2 owners that encounter over heating issues, I'd susspect most of these cases are down to engine tune / set up.
valve clearances, carb setting and particularly timming incorrect can all result in running hot.
Check these are correct and ensure the engine seal is in place around the engine tin ware, often missing. This helps by reducing hot air from recycling from under the engine back up into the cooling fan.

The type 2 is alot heavier than other types but uses the same power plant, so has to work harder. Errors in engine set up are more evident, the same errors found on a beetle for example would probably go un noticed.

If your bus has engine mods ( big bore, bigger carb, cams etc even exhaust) unless its been properly designed and worked out (such as the original design by volkswagen) all part and parcel i'm afraid.
The most reliable vw's are satandard one's from my experience.

Stock......the new custom