14 years ago
Oh, and if it helps the thread......

WIBBLE

:d
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

I took that picture when I was VERY YOUNG!

Long before I could drive

:cry:

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

It's in the Rattletrap collection now, copyright to you of course :beer:

A real gem of a picture – thanks:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
14 years ago
funny how when it was taken I was so young, and knew so little.. I didnt realise that 20 years later anyone would be interested!
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago

:wink: Zwitter prototype I think you will find. 😳

54 Gertie wrote:

Well at last:beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes with milage records going back to 1950…

'50 Karmann wrote:

Took you long enough to 'cave in' '50 Karmann:beer:

Don't use that stuff (T Cut), it's poison.There are far better products on the market.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I have to use something to help keep Rattletrap's good looks in his advancing years – Rattletrap just has to be shiny:wink:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

Well at last:beer:

Standard split wrote:

I cant quite get across how sarcastic I was being when I wrote that. :wink:
William
GKL 7
14 years ago

I cant quite get across how sarcastic I was being when I wrote that. :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Yeah!me too,guess John just reads things in a different way.
Standard split
14 years ago

Rob - can you perhaps add a seperate Rattletrap discussion forum somewhere and move all posts pertaining to said car to it?

JD wrote:

Makes sense to me:

Rattletrap's Discussions

Pre '53 Discussions

53 – 57 Discussions

Split Window Bus Forum

Karmann Ghia Forum

Etc,

Etc
.:lol:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Makes sense to me:

Rattletrap's Discussions

Pre '53 Discussions

53 – 57 Discussions

Split Window Bus Forum

Karmann Ghia Forum

Etc,

Etc

Standard split wrote:

That's a ban then:twisted: John you just can't resist can you? Hovering over your key board with itchy fingers.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Makes sense to me:

Rattletrap's Discussions

Pre '53 Discussions

53 – 57 Discussions

Split Window Bus Forum

Karmann Ghia Forum

Etc,

Etc

Standard split wrote:

Edited.

And indeed, he typed the magic word. :shock: :twisted: :wink:
William
Standard split
14 years ago

That's a ban then:twisted: John you just can't resist can you? Hovering over your key board with itchy fingers.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I think (more like hope) that the ban if in force, applies outside the mega-mileage legendary car's own thread:? :?

Standard split
14 years ago

Rattletrap's Discussions

Pre '53 Discussions

53 – 57 Discussions

Karmann Ghia Forum

Etc,

Etc

Edited.

54 Gertie wrote:

Something we agree on:beer:

Standard split
14 years ago

Yeah!me too,guess John just reads things in a different way.

'50 Karmann wrote:

And there's me thinking that you'd both given in to popular opinion :twisted:

Thanks again everyone for your help - we can't all be megastars like Rattletrap!

Pricivius wrote:

Yours is a smashing car and would take pride of place in any collection :beer:

It's just that everything pales under Rattletrap's mighty shadow :wink:

Standard split
14 years ago

(I'll bet even Rattletrap can't boast two sets made solely for his personal use!!)

RoRoVw wrote:

Rattletrap's just about worn his way through 32 sets of everything during his personal use, one set for each of his 'trips round the planet':shock:

Definitly pre crash as it sports its german reg.I would guess the photo was taken 86-87

Sunroof53 wrote:

Not necessarily correct. Tony used to drive Rattletrap around the UK displaying either registrations. He even had a concession from the DVLA to do so, and was accepted to the police as okay:o

Read below:wink:

Rattletrap's exemption.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago
 Seasonal Rattletrap.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
tguk
14 years ago
As the owner of a 60's Beetle back in the early 90's i found myself Googling a few things the other night, and remembered reading about Rattletrap in VolksWorld magazine, and eventually found myself on this site.
Before i go on a rant, are the following quotes meant to be for real or just mucking around?

The thread is just like Rattletrap – it can't be killed off

Most other threads that have come and gone recently are just not that interesting, so Rattletrap the UK's most famous Volkswagen keeps on hogging the forum

George – find yourself your dream car as I have with Rattletrap, and show it on this forum. You'll be a lot more cheery with your postings and maybe steal Rattletrap's limelight.

Whatever though, all the history, legend, stories, news articles as well as my and other's enthusiasm for Rattletrap carry forward with the car that is Rattletrap the Volkswagen legend.

Yours is a smashing car and would take pride of place in any collection..It's just that everything pales under Rattletrap's mighty shadow.

Now i have to admit, that it's brilliant news that the car is still around, and has been kept from going abroad, but all of the 'boasting' type posts have taken the wonder off the whole story for me.

It's almost as if you think you now have 'lengendary' status in the VW world due to buying the right car. But in my eyes the whole thing was Tony & Rattletrap. It would be a bit like buying the original "Emu" puppet and then thinking that "Rod Hull & Emu" could now magically convert to "John Smith & Emu" ...but it doesn't work like that.
Rattletrap became famous due to Tony, and trying to retake the limelight just by getting your hand in your wallett just seems wrong to me.
Enjoy the car, but please drop all the "look at me, i own the best vw in the world" stuff, as it really does taint what is a great vw story.
I guess i might have taken the whole thing the wrong way, but that's the way it comes across to me.

Have a great day.

55Kab
14 years ago

Now i have to admit, that it's brilliant news that the car is still around, and has been kept from going abroad, but all of the 'boasting' type posts have taken the wonder off the whole story for me.

It's almost as if you think you now have 'lengendary' status in the VW world due to buying the right car. But in my eyes the whole thing was Tony & Rattletrap. It would be a bit like buying the original "Emu" puppet and then thinking that "Rod Hull & Emu" could now magically convert to "John Smith & Emu" ...but it doesn't work like that.
Rattletrap became famous due to Tony, and trying to retake the limelight just by getting your hand in your wallett just seems wrong to me.
Enjoy the car, but please drop all the "look at me, i own the best vw in the world" stuff, as it really does taint what is a great vw story.
I guess i might have taken the whole thing the wrong way, but that's the way it comes across to me.

tguk wrote:

^^^^I think you have taken the whole thing the wrong way. This thread is purely a bit of fun as the majority of the posters here remember this car from 20 years ago, or more in some cases.

Rightly so John is very enthusiastic about the car and its history and therefore should not be condoned for hyping the old girl (boy?) up a bit. At the end of the day the car will always be linked with Tony Levy and the adventures in South America published in VW Motoring late 80's early 90's together with of course the famed milage claim. That part of the car's life is not and never will be in dispute but that part of the car's life is over. As it languished for a number of years in a museum out of sight of the UK VW Scene I for one am only too happy that a true enthusiast like John now owns the car. I say more power to Rattletrap & John and hopefully he'll bring her (him???!!!) to some shows and help continue the story of this proud and dare I say it distinquished little Bug!

lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Ah yes this is a "cobweb" topic set out to trap the unwary. You'll not be the first to have fallen foul of the hairy, eight legged beasties who frequent the dark corners of this site.:lol:
John.
pre67vw
14 years ago

As the owner of a 60's Beetle back in the early 90's i found myself Googling a few things the other night, and remembered reading about Rattletrap in VolksWorld magazine, and eventually found myself on this site.
Before i go on a rant, are the following quotes meant to be for real or just mucking around?

Have a great day.

tguk wrote:

Wow, you really jumped in with both feet on your first post there didn't you! :lol:

There's probably only one person who thinks that Rattletrap is the best VW in the world and he's the one that now owns it. Sure he tries to cause a bit a stir with it every now and again, but thats because that's the only way he can add to it's history - unlike Tony who actually used to drive it :lol:

Welcome to the forum! I hope you see that there's a fair amount of mickey taking that goes on here, hopefully all harmless fun.

BTW, it's not with John Smith - but Emu is back on TV 😎
https://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/emu-returns-to-citv/ 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

I guess i might have taken the whole thing the wrong way

tguk wrote:

Only part of your post that was correct.

:lol: :lol: :lol: WELCOME:lol: :lol: :lol: