Standard split
14 years ago

What chassis number are you going to give them?The current one or the the one posted in the 1973 Safer motoring?

Sunroof53 wrote:

I think the one listed in the 1973 Safer Motoring was a Tony cock-up – the number is not easy to read, and I think he'd forgotten his glasses :roll:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
14 years ago

I think the one listed in the 1973 Safer Motoring was a Tony cock-up – the number is not easy to read, and I think he'd forgotten his glasses :roll:

Standard split wrote:

He must have lost them when he wrote his mileage diary to:wink:
55Kab
14 years ago
From Burnham's Classic Volkswagens book:

Rattletrap p4 S.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

From Burnham's Classic Volkswagens book:

55Kab wrote:

Smashing Martin, you must have some VW library.

Is there much on the following page?:o

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Ovaltine
14 years ago

Ovaltine,you're sending us all to sleep:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Horlicks to you 50 karmann:d

Do you ever make an informative post:?

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
GKL 7
14 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

Occasionally.But talks cheap,actions speak louder than words.
Standard split
14 years ago

…Belgium is the place to find really nice old VWs – my '49 was found in the original owner's barn there :beer:

Standard split wrote:

…So!:d what about that 49 pictured next to RT? :lol:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Hey, that would certainly make an interesting scene – The '49, (YSV 1), alongside Rattletrap, the '50 (10 BXK ).

The '49, possibly the lowest mileage Split with Rattletrap the highest mileage Split/Beetle/VW.
The '49, the most original Split with Rattletrap, possibly the least original Split
The '49, the most preserved Split with Rattletrap, the most used and abused Split.

Made more interesting in that they're less than a year apart in age.

Trouble is tough despite all of Rattletrap's short-falls and his chequered history, the '49 like anything else would be eclipsed by the mighty shadow that Rattletrap casts – all you'd see in the picture would be Rattletrap. So I may as well save myself the bother and just post a picture of Rattletrap on his own!

RattletrapL.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
14 years ago
To quote you from another thread:
…Belgium is the place to find really nice old VWs – my '49 was found in the original owner's barn there

Unfortunately not anymore, John. It's pretty much been raided and the prices of vintage VWs are very high there now.
I also remember the days when they were aplenty and two-a-penny...:wink:
48REME
14 years ago
…Belgium is the place to find really nice old VWs – my '49 was found in the original owner's barn there

Unfortunately not anymore, John. It's pretty much been raided and the prices of vintage VWs are very high there now as everywhere else.
However, Belgium for me is really VW country no.2, it's in the nation's blood!
Standard split
14 years ago

Unfortunately not anymore, John. It's pretty much been raided and the prices of vintage VWs are very high there now.

48REME wrote:

You are so right – back in the '80s Belgium was a haven for finding fantastic early Beetles, Harvey Simpson discovered my '49 in 1984 – he was always finding VW jewels there.

But not any more, you'd more likely find something here :d

Standard split
14 years ago

This statement couldn't be more wrong, it's fallen into the hands of a long time VW enthusiast who has loved the car for decades. I wouldn't put Rattletrap at the top either, Standard Split has a few cars I'd put above that car anyday.

pre67vw wrote:

Okay a bit OTT - maybe I'm peeved I missed the car:oops:

Ovaltine wrote:

.... a saddo with just an old car called Rattltrap for company :evil:

Ovaltine wrote:

I think we get the picture Mr Ovaltine. I think you would pass more as the 'Saddo', you are still grieving that Rattletrap slipped through your fingers. Have a pop at me on this thread in future where you know I'll see your comments:evil:

Standard split
14 years ago

Horlicks to you 50 karmann:d

Ovaltine wrote:

Do either of you ever make an informative post - I haven't seen one :evil:
GKL 7
14 years ago
Don't start me John,you know the way it will go.
Ovaltine
14 years ago
Well I hope all this banter is in good spirit 😛

Back on to the subject. There is supposed to be a 1963 Beetle in the states belonging to an old man which is claimed to be a higher mileage than Rattletrap, but there isn't much mention of it on the net. Anyone got pics or info of it?

I'm sure Standard split would like to see pics of the rattletrap rival:twisted:

GKL 7
14 years ago

There is supposed to be a 1963 Beetle in the states belonging to an old man which is claimed to be a higher mileage than Rattletrap

Ovaltine wrote:

Albert Klien from Pasadena owned this car. 1,442,044 Authenticated miles.Unlike Rattletrap.
55Kab
14 years ago

Smashing Martin, you must have some VW library.

Is there much on the following page?:o

Standard split wrote:

Yep, comprehensive library (but need few copies of IVVM and early Safer VW Motoring if anyone's got any...hint, hint!) to complete.

Not much on the following page, just a couple more para's finishing off. Will send both high res to you if you want?

2splits
14 years ago

Albert Klien from Pasadena owned this car. 1,442,044 Authenticated miles.Unlike Rattletrap.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I heard that car is the prototype for the VW Toureg?
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
Etzhold1
14 years ago

2splits wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Standard split
14 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Etzhold1 wrote:

I'm surprised that you didn't believe that – seeing as you blindly dismiss anything remotely factual as 'cr*p' :roll:

Ovaltine
14 years ago

2splits wrote:

Standard split has two VW prototypes, a zwitter prototype, Ratteltrap of course and an actual Beetle prototype his Tatra :lol: