JULIANROBINSON
15 years ago
Can anyone help?

Either decent repro or decent used.. does anyone make these for the front?

thanks!
www.vwoval.co.uk
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JULIANROBINSON
15 years ago
I'm going to buy an autocraft front valance.. and need something to attach it to!
www.vwoval.co.uk
Jules
15 years ago
I'm pretty sure we've got 'em, I can check tomorrow!
55Kab
15 years ago

I'm going to buy an autocraft front valance..

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

:arrow: Don't do it. Go to Wolf, he's making front valances now and it the only replacement front valance to fit to an early Bug.
JULIANROBINSON
15 years ago

I'm pretty sure we've got 'em, I can check tomorrow!

Jules wrote:

any news?
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
15 years ago

:arrow: Don't do it. Go to Wolf, he's making front valances now and it the only replacement front valance to fit to an early Bug.

55Kab wrote:

Just taken a look .. £206.43 & post...

UserPostedImage

are they really £81.43 better than the autocraft ones?

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
VW Stan
15 years ago
Hi Julian,
Go and put your glasses on, have a look at those two pictures again compared to your original, and you can answer your question yourself!

Malc :wink:

(PS look at the sharpness of the pressing and the shape of the curves at the top of the fingers for starters!)

DSCF3524.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I have looked closely at Autocrafts front valences at shows and I would avid them! The pressings are much to wide and are not nearly as sharp or precise as wolfs or og ones! The same goes for their rear valences as well!
William
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Yes the 81 £ are better , but not perfect !
If you want a perfect part buy it from WOLF,
They look like original and they fit 100% , Ok They are more expencive buth worth every pence ! You'll not regret thats for sure ! I could not find one error on the rear aprons from WOLF ! They are just great !

Guido
GKL 7
15 years ago
Go with Wolf.
Ovalbug
15 years ago
I had a good look at the Autocraft valances at a show last summer where they had a stand....
Have to say I wasn't at all impressed and would defo go for the Wolf item.............

:wink:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
54 Gertie
15 years ago
It may just be me but it almost looks like the front valence shown in the picture has odd 'ribbed" bits. They, especially to one to the far left look to thin?

My first thought was that it was an irish thing but as they were CKDs I would guess that that would be Wolfsburg steel! Ignore my ramblings!:wink:

Its probably just my eyes!:lol:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

I have looked closely at Autocrafts front valences at shows and I would avid them! The pressings are much to wide and are not nearly as sharp or precise as wolfs or og ones! The same goes for their rear valences as well!

54 Gertie wrote:

Julian
Gertie sums it up perfectly above. Look at my cars thread on RW. The Cabby needed front and rear valances. Rear was from Wolf and fitted like a glove, but a OG 4-tab part was cut out of a rusty valance & shut with an Autocraft one to make the front.

This was done as Wolf didn't have the fronts available at the time. Basically, after comparing the 2, I would say the Autocraft pressing made them look like the "Edward Sausage Fingers" version! Sorry Autocraft but just not good enough!

If you want to know any more, call Ben at Evil Ben's in Truro.:wink:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Basically, after comparing the 2, I would say the Autocraft pressing made them look like the "Edward Sausage Fingers" version! Sorry Autocraft but just not good enough!

55Kab wrote:

Im just surprised that after going to the hours and hours of making presses and tools that you wouldnt go it correctly!:wink: Sorry Autocraft if you are reading this but I think to appeal to the "vintage" market, repros need to be spot on! (something that Wolf does perfectly, having seen some of his panels in the flesh!)

As I keep saying, someone NEEDS to start making heater channels!8) Ahem, Wolf?:wink:
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Just taken a look .. £206.43 & post...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Just noticed...

On the Wolf panel there is a large steep sided dip going down to the area where the bonnet latch fixes to, now compare this to the far less precise pressing on the Autocraft panel! It may just be different angles from which the photos are taken but im just wondering what is correct? I may have a look tomorow..........COLD!:evil:
William
Judson53
15 years ago
Glad a read this,was going to order front and rear from autocraft today 😮

Just placed the order with wolf :lol:
dinsdale
15 years ago

Glad a read this,was going to order front and rear from autocraft today 😮

Just placed the order with wolf :lol:

Judson53 wrote:

Good move. The Autocraft rear valance I bought a while back didn't fit at all. They make alot of good panels but that wasn't one of them.

Pete
'54 Beetle with Okrasa
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I may have a look tomorow..........COLD!:evil:

54 Gertie wrote:

You bet you'll be cold, I want your help fitting this split case gearbox "tomorow"! :d
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
54 Gertie
15 years ago

You bet you'll be cold, I want your help fitting this split case gearbox "tomorow"! :d

tman wrote:

Dont remind me!:evil: C'mon we'd better get outside...............:wink:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Julian

I have to admit to acquiring an Autocraft rear valance early on in the restoration of the Cab but when it turned up, Evil Ben took it around to an OG 59 that was on display in Retrodubs for a comparison photo.

So, in order to answer your question above, just take a look at the photo! Needless to say it went back for a refund!:wink:

UserPostedImage