pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
10 years ago
Watching one of those car programs on Discovery the other day, the guy on it is known for 'flipping' cars (as in buying then selling straight away, not putting them onto their roofs :lol: ). There was an old guy selling his car to the flipper, knowing that the car would probably get flipped, which made me wonder...

I've also heard of Hebs selling to about 3 or 4 people in the same day, each person flipping the car to make some money.

I realise that some people buy and sell cars to make money, but there's something about flipping that I find distasteful - am I in the minority? Is flipping OK these days?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
10 years ago
I've not heard the term 'flipping' before, but yes it happens - not just with cars though, anything and everything... It's always happened and always will. I've done it myself, but not intentionally. I agree it is most distasteful, especially when the buyer gives some cock 'n bull story on how he's going to love and cherish it knowing full well he's going to make an easy profit for very little effort. That's the bit that really gets me 'very little effort', but hey that's life...

Quick side note - I was enjoying the feature on your cabrio, only to find volksworld had double printed a page, hence only 1/2 a feature - anyone else suffered??
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
10 years ago

Quick side note - I was enjoying the feature on your cabrio, only to find volksworld had double printed a page, hence only 1/2 a feature - anyone else suffered??

Low Speed Dubbin wrote:

Yeah, the printer messed it up, they're all like that. 😞 They have provided a pdf file of the full feature though:

https://www.volksworld.com/blog/oops-we-made-a-boo-boo/ 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
BEETLE MAN
10 years ago
I don't like flipping
Old Blue
10 years ago

I realise that some people buy and sell cars to make money, but there's something about flipping that I find distasteful - am I in the minority? Is flipping OK these days?

pre67vw wrote:

I agree with you. I have chased a couple of splits in the last few months only to lose out to another 'buyer'. Each car returned into the classifieds about a week later at a much higher price.

This activity is fueling higher values and denying genuine enthusiasts who don't have a bottomless wallet.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago
Not sure if we're imposing double standards about our precious VWs here. Would you find it acceptable to flip an early Mk1 Ford Cortina to make a healthy profit. To some buying and selling cars is a means to an end; making a quick profit to be able to afford what they really want. Could be that long cherished Heb or an early Porsche 356.
John.
six-o-one
10 years ago
I think that if the seller is happy with the price they get, then it's up to them who they sell to and up to the buyer what they do from then on.

I've never bought a car with the intention of making a fast buck but, If I found something for sale for what I considered to be below market value, I guess if I had the spare cash I might be tempted.

Classic cars are an expensive hobby and we would all like to hope that our cars will be worth more than we paid for them - If we decide to sell them, wether it's days of years after we buy them.

Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
I have sold both cars and parts to traders / flippers in the past and felt like I had been had when I saw them for sale at twice the price :roll: However its the way of the world and its best just to accept its gonna happen. If you can't live with it then don't sell anything or price it too high to avoid the flippers :wink:
Sunroof53
10 years ago
It's Definitly annoying but it's nothing new .its no different to you trading your car in to a dealer and then you seeing it on the forecourt the next day.its business .you win some you loose some.Just keep trying is all you can do.

Mike.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Would you find it acceptable to flip an early Mk1 Ford Cortina to make a healthy profit.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

No I wouldn't, not unless I'd worked hard on the car to better it.

To some buying and selling cars is a means to an end; making a quick profit to be able to afford what they really want. Could be that long cherished Heb or an early Porsche 356.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Years back, I used to buy cheap 1960s/70s MOT failure Beetles destined for the scrap heap. My intention was to fix the cars up to make them road legal to pass the MOT, eventually selling them on to make some money towards buying a Split Beetle. Once MOTd, I'd run the cars for a few months to be sure they were in good reliable order then advertise them in the paper, (no internet then).

There was not a huge profit totalled from the cars, and it only helped toward buying another Split, but what extra I made I'd worked damn hard for. And the best thing, I'd saved another Beetle from the crusher.

Today, these flippers and some dealers do absolutely nothing other than sell the car on for a good profit. They don't check them, and don't even drive them for a while.:thumbdn:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
10 years ago
:unsure:  untitled.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

:unsure:

GKL 7 wrote:

Thanks, but there's nothing heroic about dedication, determination, hard work and honesty. These are values by which we should all live, as most of us do....:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Old Blue
10 years ago

Thanks, but there's nothing heroic about dedication, determination, hard work and honesty. These are values by which we should all live, as most of us do....:wink:

Rattletrap wrote:

Yes I certainly agree. However, while some of us just flip pancakes each year, some flip early Beetles, after just 'sitting' on them for 12 months.:x
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

GKL 7
10 years ago
Funny That,i thought to "Flip" a car you needed to make money on it.
Must have heard it wrong somewhere along the line.
Old Blue
10 years ago

Funny That,i thought to "Flip" a car you needed to make money on it.
Must have heard it wrong somewhere along the line.

GKL 7 wrote:

The issue is people making money out of a car while doing absolutely nothing to it.

GKL 7
10 years ago

The issue is people making money out of a car while doing absolutely nothing to it.

Old Blue wrote:

Happens every day,it's called the motor trade,live with it.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
I´m considering buying a 2CV that I´ve stumbled across to sell on. Needs to be put back on the road first as it´s been standing in a garage for some years. I´m also ambiguous about buying something to sell on, but as has been said, it´s the way of the world.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
10 years ago
The whole motor trade does work off buying and selling, and thats fine. Usually even a dealer will put some work into a car before selling, new tires, mot, a good valet etc. Also, buying a car, doing some work on it to put it back on the road and then selling it for a profit seems OK as well, you're making some money on the work that you've put into it.

In my opinion, flipping is buying a car that you know full well is worth more, then selling it for a profit straight away without doing any work at all or without enjoying the car yourself. Sometimes there is some deceit such as 'I've always wanted one of these, it's my dream car etc.' Then as soon as they've bought the car, it's sold on for a profit within hours or days. What amazed me about the guy in the TV program was that he was almost boasting about being able to flip a car, yet sellers were still willing to sell their cars for less than market value to him - although maybe some of that was about getting on TV?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
What is it they say? If the buyer and the seller can both walk away thinking that they got a good deal, then it probably was a good deal.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
10 years ago

The whole motor trade does work off buying and selling, and thats fine. Usually even a dealer will put some work into a car before selling, new tires, mot, a good valet etc. Also, buying a car, doing some work on it to put it back on the road and then selling it for a profit seems OK as well, you're making some money on the work that you've put into it.

In my opinion, flipping is buying a car that you know full well is worth more, then selling it for a profit straight away without doing any work at all or without enjoying the car yourself. Sometimes there is some deceit such as 'I've always wanted one of these, it's my dream car etc.' Then as soon as they've bought the car, it's sold on for a profit within hours or days. What amazed me about the guy in the TV program was that he was almost boasting about being able to flip a car, yet sellers were still willing to sell their cars for less than market value to him - although maybe some of that was about getting on TV?

pre67vw wrote:

X2

Earning money by hard work is fine. Making it out of others by deceit is not.

Many proper dealers work on their vehicles, and you usually have a comeback too if there is a problem.