Kaizen
10 years ago
Hi everyone, I have a 30hp 1960 beetle, the 6 volt dynamo generator has give up the ghost, I have found a new Bosch unit, I have removed the engine and have taken out the old dynamo, what is the best way to remove the cooler fan without damaging it?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a 30hp 1960 beetle, the 6 volt dynamo generator has give up the ghost, I have found a new Bosch unit, I have removed the engine and have taken out the old dynamo, what is the best way to remove the cooler fan without damaging it?

Originally Posted by: Kaizen 

Don't try poking things through the blades to hold the fan still whilst you un-do the 36mm fan nut- you'll wreck the blades. You need to lock up the pulley end of the generator, maybe in a vice of something using the back half of the pulley, with the weight of the generator supported. You can then un-do the big fan nut.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
10 years ago
The easiest way I've found is to use a decent air gun - you don't even need to clamp the front pulley in a vice.. so even less chance of damage. :smile:
www.vwoval.co.uk