nev
  • nev
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Dont worry this is not a WW2 related post :wink:

I am working hard to get my 47 on the road for next summer, not sure if it will happen but I am working on it every spare moment I get which isn't much.

The body is currently away for welding and I am getting all the other bits ready for its return.

Here's a pic of the original engine in the process of being reassembled.

UserPostedImage

Also pictured is the fuel tank which is the bit I need advice on, looks like it has been dropped on the filler neck at some point over the last 60 years 😞. Without cutting and rewelding has anyone got any good ideas on how I could pull the dent out ?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My car will not be a show car so I don't mind it not being perfect but would like to get as much original shape back as poss.

Thanks
Kev

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
16 years ago
Tricky one. My idea would be to get a strong piece of steel or angle iron, grind a step into it at one end so that it will hook under the filler pipe at its join, make the other end so that you can hammer it - and hammer it up. sort of like this...  13180.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

Tricky one. My idea would be to get a strong piece of steel or angle iron, grind a step into it at one end so that it will hook under the filler pipe at its join, make the other end so that you can hammer it - and hammer it up. sort of like this...

"pre67vw" wrote:

NOT JUST A PRETTY FACE :wink:
nev
  • nev
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago

Tricky one. My idea would be to get a strong piece of steel or angle iron, grind a step into it at one end so that it will hook under the filler pipe at its join, make the other end so that you can hammer it - and hammer it up. sort of like this...

"pre67vw" wrote:

Brilliant thanks Rob, sounds like a plan, I will give it a go at some point over the next couple of weeks and show you the results.

Cheers
Kev