Standard split
14 years ago

When was the last time you saw Rattletrap John?

pre67vw wrote:

Tea time – when I went to get Geezer my cat for his feed. He sleeps under Rattletrap, kinda likes the car:d

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
14 years ago
But what about the Bombshell you promised us :shock:

I have to say you are the perfect owner for this car .its true what they say ,Everything comes to those who wait :d .A boyhood dream come true.Be careful though 50 karmans hitman now knows the car you drive :lol:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Tea time – when I went to get Geezer my cat for his feed. He sleeps under Rattletrap, kinda likes the car:d

Standard split wrote:

Sounds ideal for soaking up the oil! I think I´d better get one.:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Standard split
14 years ago

But what about the Bombshell you promised us :shock:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Are you being sarky, Sunroof 53, or did you not read further back:roll:

Thanks for your nice comment though:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
14 years ago

Sounds ideal for soaking up the oil! I think I´d better get one.:lol:

JD wrote:

Has a good wash each week to keep the oil off. Geezer has a wash too:lol:

Sunroof53
14 years ago
Just found the article which Volksworld must have used for there recent article on Rattletrap.There is few nice photos that you may not have seen.Article is from 1989 .Best viwed with the firefox browser and use CTL and + keys to zoom.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
rattlekid
14 years ago
Hi, I am Tony Levy's daughter and have just come across this discussion about my dad's car; mainly because a family member and a couple of his close friends/neighbours have been asking me if I know whatever became of it. I recall the car being at Bentley Wood and have assumed it remained there. The car was my dad's pride and joy; he loved it more than anything, and I would love to know whether it is being looked after by an enthusiast or whatever came of his most precious possession. If anyone can let me know, I would appreciate it.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Hi, I am Tony Levy's daughter and have just come across this discussion about my dad's car; mainly because a family member and a couple of his close friends/neighbours have been asking me if I know whatever became of it. I recall the car being at Bentley Wood and have assumed it remained there. The car was my dad's pride and joy; he loved it more than anything, and I would love to know whether it is being looked after by an enthusiast or whatever came of his most precious possession. If anyone can let me know, I would appreciate it.

rattlekid wrote:

Yes, "Standard Split" on here has it. Send him a pm.8)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
14 years ago

I would love to know whether it is being looked after by an enthusiast or whatever came of his most precious possession.

rattlekid wrote:

I'd say it is in the best possible hands... :d

Rattletrap was the first split I ever saw. Back in 1977, and the Queen's Silver Jubilee, while we were waiting for the Queen's open carriage to pass, Rattletrap managed to run across the road junction just before it was closed. It was more of a treat for the young John than seeing the Queen pass afterwards. That sowed the seed for me to own a Split-Window Beetle when I was able to drive. More fascinating Rattletrap history 8)

Can't spell out the excitement at seeing the thing back then, I easily remembered the unusual and short registration 😎

Standard split wrote:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

rattlekid wrote:

Hi Rattlekid and a big welcome:d

Yes I have Rattletrap (pictured left in my avatar) :d

I have a fair collection of early VWs, and needless to say Rattletrap is a favourite :beer:

It was my first ever sighting of a split rear window 'Beetle' and at the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977, in central London of all places 😛 It had a big impact on the young 'Standard Split' – more so than seeing the Queen:shock:

Rattletrap managed to put in an appearance in front of the huge waiting crowds just before the Queen's procession and carriage passed. So cool, only your Dad could have pulled that off8) 😎 😎 😎 😎

I later saw Rattletrap when it featured with your Dad on ITV main time television too breaking the 800,000 mile barrier 😎

It seems he managed to get everywhere with Rattletrap – the King of Volkswagens:!: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I regard this car as priceless, and I am so pleased to be taking care of it, it almost ended going to a buyer abroad but it's here with me in London in the company of other early VWs:wink:

Standard split
14 years ago

Rattletrap looks awefully shiney in your avatar John:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

A diamond can't help but shine 😎

Just found the article which Volksworld must have used for there recent article on Rattletrap.There is few nice photos that you may not have seen.Article is from 1989 .Best viwed with the firefox browser and use CTL and + keys to zoom.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Thanks Sunroof53:o

I don't have every printed item about Rattletrap (I expect there's others), so I can run these 2 pages off and add them to Rattletrap's history file:beer:

Anything else that turns-up would be welcome from you and other forum users8)

Sunroof53
14 years ago
I have a few others I have collected just about everthing that was printed in vw motoring plus a few other bits.I think i already posted most of it but i will post what ever i find .It was spanned over a number of years so may take some time.
Standard split
14 years ago

I have a few others I have collected just about everthing that was printed in vw motoring plus a few other bits.I think i already posted most of it but i will post what ever i find .It was spanned over a number of years so may take some time.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Cheers :beer:

I wonder if ITV have any of the film footage:?

samghia
14 years ago
Safer Motoring October 69 thank goodness this car did not become a coffee table.

UserPostedImage
53 Oval
63 Ghia
64 Deluxe
71 Fastback
95 Golf Karmann Cabrio
Standard split
14 years ago
"Not murder" – What could have been worse for Rattletrap than being crushed into a cube:shock:
And a very heavy 'coffee table' too:?

[quote=samghia]Safer Motoring October 69 thank goodness this car did not become a coffee table.[/quote]
I've put my tea on Rattletrap's bonnet when working around it – does that make it a tea table :lol:

A lot of Tony's stories such as pushing Rattletrap 10 miles I'm sure were to add humour to his history of it, although I think there was always a certain underlying truth to his catalogued events8)

Thanks for posting that interesting news snippet though samghia, more to go into Rattletrap's history file :beer:

Standard split
14 years ago
Does anyone have any information about Rattletrap's embrace with a Volvo some years before the old lady in the huge MAC truck tried to obliterate Rattletrap while in Mexico:?

Sunroof53
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
Sunroof53
Sunroof53