Ovaltine
14 years ago
Mike Peckham found the same item that I tried to post earlier :roll:

Quit trying to figure out the year. There is no question about it, the car is a 63.

bruce wrote:

Do you know for fact or just what you read :?:

I do not see how you can decide from looking at the poor picture below which does not show much of the windows, it could be a 63 or a 66 :?
 KleineLocalNewsPic.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
55Kab
14 years ago

it could be a 63 or a 66 :?

Ovaltine wrote:

I always remember from 20 years back this car being reported as a 63 and you can see even in that poor photo it has the slim pre 65 wing top indicators.

bruce
14 years ago

Do you know for fact or just what you read :?:

I do not see how you can decide from looking at the poor picture below which does not show much of the windows, it could be a 63 or a 66 :?

Ovaltine wrote:

I know for a fact that it is NOT a 66. Many years ago hotVW's magazine did a feature on the car with clear photos of a pre 65 small window car. It was reported in this feature that the car is a 63.

I know I have the issue containing the article, but searching 25 years worth of magazines is a slow prospect. If someone knows when Mr. Klein passed the million mile mark, that would help.

Google:

https://www.blacktable.com/incoming050214.htm 

"In fact, Albert Klein of Pasadena, Calif., held the world record for highest mileage vehicle with his 1963 VW Beetle. As of January 1993, Klein's Beetle had been around for 1,442,044 miles. "

https://www.maggiolinoweb.it/curiosity.html 

"So far the car that has covered the most kilometers and is still running, is a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle that belongs to Albert Klein from Pasadena, California, U.S.A. Until 25TH January 1994 it had covered 2.434.575 kilometers".

2.434.575 km = 1,513,098 miles

https://www.automobear.com/Default.aspx?brand=volkswagen&model=Beetle 

"Precisely 17 years after the last convertible Bug leaves the line, Albert Klein of Pasadena, California, is recognized for holding the world record for automobile mileage. His 1963 VW Beetle has accumulated 1,592,503 miles."

Standard split
14 years ago

I always remember from 20 years back this car being reported as a 63…

55Kab wrote:

Magazines do not always get things right 😮

Various articles on Rattletrap have reported him as a '50, a '51 a '52 and even a '53 :?

Does anyone know if Klein's '63 Beetle or indeed the man himself still exist :?:

Some think the Beetle does not…

We shall never know whether or not Volkswagen had a place in their Museum for Mr Klein's Beetle as it was written off in 1997, there was a small note to that effect in VW Motoring at the time.

Sadly the car was gone before the days of the internet and Mr Klein wasn't interested in publicising it. He just wanted to drive it. It probably didn't stand still long enough to be photographed :wink: .

Mike Peckham wrote:

It says in this article below that Klein's '63 would go to the Volkswagen Museum when ending its days – just like Tony Levy said that Rattletrap would :!:

Klein's car is not there though, which casts doubt on it for me. Maybe VW didn't want to have it for some reason. It could be that Rattletrap has been taken to the 'Kleiners' – though I very much doubt it :twisted:
 KleineLocalNews July87s.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pre67vw
14 years ago

Klein's car is not there though, which casts doubt on it for me.

Standard split wrote:

But Rattletrap isn't there either, should that cast a doubt on it for me? :roll: :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Why not write to the Wolfsburg museum, and ask them why Rattletrap isn't there? :wink:
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago
As taken from your own thread on The Samba. :wink:

UserPostedImage
William
Standard split
14 years ago

As taken from your own thread on The Samba. :wink:

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

I wanted post that 😶 :cry:

Its the only decent image of the Klein's car that's turned-up :evil:

Yep – it's a small window :d

Even starting a thread on the Samba has failed to yield much about the Klein car – no-one in the States seems to know if it exists, and if so, where it is :? :roll:

Why not write to the Wolfsburg museum, and ask them why Rattletrap isn't there? :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

But Rattletrap isn't there either, should that cast a doubt on it for me? :roll: :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

No, certainly not 😎
Remember, VW supplied and fitted a replacement chassis for Rattletrap, so they must have considered him of value. My guess is they'd snap him up if I offered him to them 😎
Its more than just the huge mileage of Rattletrap, its the versatility of the old Beetle taken to the extreme with how all parts can be replaced to keep an old VW going, and on top of that the amazing story and legend of the car:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I wanted post that 😶 :cry:

Standard split wrote:

You've had 12 days. :lol:

Remember, VW supplied and fitted a replacement chassis for Rattletrap, so they must have considered him of value. My guess is they'd snap him up if I offered him to them 😎

Standard split wrote:

So, write to the museum and ask. :twisted:
William
Standard split
14 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

I don't want to part with Rattletrap……:(

54 Gertie
14 years ago

I don't want to part with Rattletrap……:(

Standard split wrote:

No, just see if they would be interested. And they may have more info on Mr Kleins '63.
William
pre67vw
14 years ago

Remember, VW supplied and fitted a replacement chassis for Rattletrap, so they must have considered him of value.

Standard split wrote:

Either that, or after they looked into it in more detail they needed an exit and a replacement chassis was an easy way out... :lol:

Anyway, I'm thinking its time for the Rattletrap summer recess. :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

Either that, or after they looked into it in more detail they needed an exit and a replacement chassis was an easy way out... :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

Not sure that shipping and fitting a replacement chassis is an easy way out :?

I'm thinking its time for the Rattletrap summer recess

pre67vw wrote:

The Rattletrap holiday cartoon is not ready yet :shock:

No, just see if they would be interested. And they may have more info on Mr Kleins '63.

54 Gertie wrote:

54 Gertie wrote:

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EMAIL ADDRESS AT THE WOLFSBURG VW MUSEUM FOR VEHICLE ENQUIRIES:?:

Rattletrap
14 years ago

I still haven't found the note of it's (Klein's Beetle) demise in 97. Maybe it's still going...:shock:

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

UserPostedImage

Standard split
13 years ago

I guess the answer to all OUR questions on Rattletrap is realy how much it bothers you to recognise the reality John?

After all, as you have the car (person:? ) himself you are best placed to show us by way of photos what is what. I mean cut/weld lines under the bonnet area/behind the dash etc, ID of the chassis number now and any old paperwork. If you don't mind knowing and it would end a mystery for me, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated if we delved just a little bit deeper into what happened since new and when he was rebuilt at Hazelocks.

55Kab wrote:

Okay, I guess its only fair as some of you have dug out some really helpful items, and especially to Rob who has endured such a lot from Rattletrap causing havoc across the forums. :?

I'm getting the camera out this weekend to see what signs of repair I can 'capture' to show here. :shock:

:!: Please keep any Rattletrap posts and comments here though.:!:
Our administrator is understandably getting a little worn down with other threads being taken over by Rattletrap.

I've had no luck finding an email address to contact the VW Museum about vehicle enquiries, does anyone know of such a contact:?:

Rattletrap
13 years ago
Being loved in England and the pride of Germany was a problem for Rattletrap with the two foes meeting.

But he's onto a winner either way :wink:

UserPostedImage
opl505e
13 years ago
Tony used to live at the end of my road in Ickenham (Wallasey Crescent/Swakeleys Road)

My Dad at the time had from new a Black 67 with Red Interior and US Towel rails as optional accessory)

Tonys car I knew as a child as the car like dads with the funny window.

Tony also has a cream 58? beetle

Fast forward to when I got into beetles and I made a visit to Terrys Beetle Services.
In their yard I could see that there was something early under a cover, I asked Luke what it was and he explained that it was Rattletrap after it had been totalled.

The job of restoring the car was going to be down to Terry Beetle Services and WAS going to be full restoration trying to keep as much of the original car as possible, luke had searched and collected NOS panels to do the whole restoration.

Then some falling out happened and the car was given to house of haselocks to do the work, I was told that alot of the panels were sold on and not put on the car by Haselocks

Tony kept ducks and was well known, I believe he was pretty eccentric and when I taked to Luke from TBS years later he remembers his wife seeing Tony talking at a petrol station is a broad american accent, then changing it straight back when he spoke to her.

All tonys storied i would say are half truths half folklaw of his making.
The car has always been a split from my earliest memories when I was six years old

Were you living in Ickenham as a kid, My name is Matthew Keen and used to live at 36 Wallasay Crescent and had a street party for the jubilee
CNE789
13 years ago

I've had no luck finding an email address to contact the VW Museum about vehicle enquiries, does anyone know of such a contact:?:

Standard split wrote:

https://automuseum.volkswagen.de/kontakt.html 

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

55Kab
13 years ago

Okay, I guess its only fair as some of you have dug out some really helpful items, and especially to Rob who has endured such a lot from Rattletrap causing havoc across the forums. :?

I'm getting the camera out this weekend to see what signs of repair I can 'capture' to show here. :shock:

Standard split wrote:

That's great news John and very brave of you to do this. Can I suggest some pics under the bonnet/of the dash area first.

Standard split
13 years ago

Tony used to live at the end of my road in Ickenham (Wallasey Crescent/Swakeleys Road)

My Dad at the time had from new a Black 67 with Red Interior and US Towel rails as optional accessory)

Tonys car I knew as a child as the car like dads with the funny window.

Tony also has a cream 58? beetle

Fast forward to when I got into beetles and I made a visit to Terrys Beetle Services.
In their yard I could see that there was something early under a cover, I asked Luke what it was and he explained that it was Rattletrap after it had been totalled.

The job of restoring the car was going to be down to Terry Beetle Services and WAS going to be full restoration trying to keep as much of the original car as possible, luke had searched and collected NOS panels to do the whole restoration.

Then some falling out happened and the car was given to house of haselocks to do the work, I was told that alot of the panels were sold on and not put on the car by Haselocks

Tony kept ducks and was well known, I believe he was pretty eccentric and when I taked to Luke from TBS years later he remembers his wife seeing Tony talking at a petrol station is a broad american accent, then changing it straight back when he spoke to her.

All tonys storied i would say are half truths half folklaw of his making.
The car has always been a split from my earliest memories when I was six years old

Were you living in Ickenham as a kid, My name is Matthew Keen and used to live at 36 Wallasay Crescent and had a street party for the jubilee

opl505e wrote:

What can I say about the internet and these forums:beer:

The Rattletrap thread has been running since the beginning of time (it seems that way to some anyway!) but these gems still turn-up:!:

Thanks Matthew for this info and for your PM. Another story to slot into the Rattletrap archives :beer:

opl505e wrote:

Rattletrap was almost part of the Queen's Jubilee, Matthew, see below taken from page 18 of this thread:wink:

It was my first ever sighting of a split rear window 'Beetle' and at the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977, in central London of all places 😛 It had a big impact on the young 'Standard Split' – more so than seeing the Queen:shock:

Rattletrap managed to put in an appearance in front of the huge waiting crowds just before the Queen's procession and carriage passed...

...he managed to get everywhere...

Standard split wrote: