Standard split
13 years ago

That's great news John and very brave of you to do this. Can I suggest some pics under the bonnet/of the dash area first.

55Kab wrote:

There are things I can't fathom out myself looking over Rattletrap:?

The pictures will probably raise more questions than giving answers :shock:

I'll be expecting a pasting from some quarters:oops:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Ovaltine
13 years ago

That's great news John and very brave of you to do this. Can I suggest some pics under the bonnet/of the dash area first.

55Kab wrote:

Don't miss out the rear window welds :twisted:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
55Kab
13 years ago

Don't miss out the rear window welds :twisted:

Ovaltine wrote:

Didn't ask that as I can't see John taking up the carpet and removing the headliner!

55Kab
13 years ago

There are things I can't fathom out myself looking over Rattletrap:?

The pictures will probably raise more questions than giving answers :shock:

I'll be expecting a pasting from some quarters:oops:

Standard split wrote:

Well let's start at the beginning and show us what you find and we'll go from there.

I'm sure the majority of people are interested in just finding out what's gone on. I know I am and whatever you find it doesn't change Rattletrap - there's too much history and a story attached to him. :wink:

GKL 7
13 years ago
Don't worry folks,that avatar of Martin's will be down sometime next week,if not tomorrow night:wink:
55Kab
13 years ago

Don't worry folks,that avatar of Martin's will be down sometime next week,if not tomorrow night:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol:

Ye of little faith!!!

GKL 7
13 years ago
I was hoping, it will be like a reverse kiss of death:?
Standard split
13 years ago
This thread has been locked more times than Sutcliffe's cell door :evil:

A certain individual was so keen to get it locked on more than one instance, even placing posts to that effect. No sooner unlocked, he swoops in again :roll:

I suggest he posts on Faecesbook or Sh*tter… :evil:

I really appreciate Rob's, Martin's, Mike's and all the other enthusiasts who continue to show the interest that fires me to battle on!

Those of you who bemoan this thread please feel free to start an interesting topic under the pre '53 forum to rival Rattletrap's 'monopoly' as there's really not much else happening here :wink:

Yes, I've edited this post since yesterday, as I've cooled off a bit!
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Come on John, get some photos posted up! :wink:

Will it be at Peppercorn in two weeks time? :?:
William
Standard split
13 years ago

Can I suggest some pics under the bonnet/of the dash area first.

55Kab wrote:

I'll be posting some pictures once organised Martin, and have started up the front end as suggested. I managed some pics Sunday after a lot of messing around, pulling Rattletrap from his long-term idleness. I plan to take more pictures this weekend :d

Come on John, get some photos posted up! :wink:
Will it be at Peppercorn in two weeks time? :?:

54 Gertie wrote:

I don't plan to have Rattletrap at Peppercorn, he has a few issues that need addressing for the MOT.

Lavenham is where Rattletrap will be, even if I have to push him there (well Tony claimed to have pushed the car several miles!):wink:

Rattletrap
13 years ago
If you're wondering what's (not) going on here (someone might!)…

UserPostedImage
Dakota
13 years ago
Is it just me that thinks its kind of funny that the cartoon Rattletrap seems to talk out of its backside.
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Is it just me that thinks its kind of funny that the cartoon Rattletrap seems to talk out of its backside.

Dakota wrote:

Amazing that a car can talk - even more amazing that it talks out of it's bottom. Some people are never satisfied:lol:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
pre67vw
13 years ago
More than a few people mentioned to me yesterday at Peppercorn that they wish this thread would go away now... so until John gets his photos developed showing the evidence of repairs, it's locked again. :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
13 years ago
Some years ago on the Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show they had a Mr Richard Porter, the author of the Top Gear book, Crap Cars, in which he listed the Beetle as the worst car ever.:evil:

When repeatedly questioned on why this was so, one answer he gave was, 'because it has been around for so long'. 'People meet up and discuss it', he considers this sad :roll:

The reality is, he's tired of it, and a little envious of its success – he's a petrol head and doesn't understand why people love such a car and why 'proper cars' like the Evo will be forgotten after 10 years. He's like the jelous schoolboy left out of the group. The answer to him is, live and let live, don't own a Beetle and don't try to take away something that others are enjoying. Enjoy your thing Mr Porter, your Subarus and Evos, and we'll enjoy ours :beer:

And so it is with this thread. It has reached my ears that a minority of members have 'tired' of a this pre67vw successful topic. Having very similar problems with it as that I've described Richard Porter has with the Beetle, they want the Rattletrap thread blocked, locked or better still removed I suspect.:?

Look at the recent additions here (under this pre '53 forum) – there's not much happening. Come on you lot, change this :d

Anyway, back to the topic.

I'm going to post some of Rattletrap's repair images, it really is a job to capture flaws and joins that I can see, in pictures.

Comments and opinions are very welcome, but please can they all be on topic.

Rattletrap's 60 years old and here's a cartoon to celebrate this fact……
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Rattletrap is celebrating the big 60, and has some friends around…

UserPostedImage
Standard split
13 years ago
Here we go…

First up we have a front beam shot, an anti-roll bar:?:

UserPostedImage
Standard split
13 years ago
Spare wheel well.

Signs or a non factory join along the inner right hand panel, plus note rippled area…

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
13 years ago
UserPostedImage

Has this been straightened? Would indicate to original roof...?

EDIT: Sorry, I went searching, you were taking too long. :lol:
William
Standard split
13 years ago
1st pic, the RH side front quarter like new, 2nd pic, the LH (non-crash side) has some corrosion…

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage