VW Stan
  • VW Stan
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
This car's been talked about on here before and has just come up for sale.

The hardest part of putting this one right would be getting Nicholas to part with the original seats which are now in his '60 Standard! :wink:

https://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=547209   PB151075.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I saw this on VZi and it pained me to read that he had sold the OG seats! :shock:

*Waiting for "its too shiney!"* :wink: :lol:
William
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago
It's a shame that a lot of the parts which make it a 'rare' standard have been removed.

I reckon it would have been well worth the asking price if he had left it alone and not messed with it.
:roll:

Standard split
15 years ago
It beggars belief that someone would do this to a Standard model:!:

Bad enough to a 1958 DeLuxe:!:

These seats are yuk and I hate the wheels, nudge bars and any other non-original items I can't see :twisted:

And its too shiny :d  PB151080.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I saw this on VZi and it pained me to read that he had sold the OG seats! :shock:

54 Gertie wrote:

My fault. They went to a good home though (just ask Nicolas!) :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago
But this car looks (was) perhaps the most original of the two cars, and it's a real shame that its lost the front seats to the other :cry:

Its also a real basic Standard in that it has (had) no frills at all – it does not have a sunroof.

Why buy a Standard model for this sort of treatment. It's totally unsuitable with cable brakes and crash box – but I guess these have been replaced as well as all the other Standard features we can see gone :shock:

The seller says its a rare model. A 58 Standard is a rare car indeed, but this is no longer a Standard model, it could just as easily now be a modified DeLuxe. He's finished with the car and wants to get rid of it. A lot of vintage VW buffs would love to have bought it before he got hold of it :evil:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
48REME
15 years ago

But this car looks (was) perhaps the most original of the two cars, and it's a real shame that its lost the front seats to the other :cry:

Its also a real basic Standard in that it has (had) no frills at all – it does not have a sunroof.

Why buy a Standard model for this sort of treatment. It's totally unsuitable with cable brakes and crash box – but I guess these have been replaced as well as all the other Standard features we can see gone :shock:

The seller says its a rare model. A 58 Standard is a rare car indeed, but this is no longer a Standard model, it could just as easily now be a modified DeLuxe. He's finished with the car and wants to get rid of it. A lot of vintage VW buffs would love to have bought it before he got hold of it :evil:

Standard split wrote:

48REME
15 years ago

Standard split wrote:

Excuse me John but who the hell are you to decide which of the two cars, this ex-Austrian 58 or my German 59 is the most original of the two when you haven't even seen either of them or know anything about them.:evil:
My car happens to be completely original (apart from one front wing) with matching numbers and engine. Being a unique customer-specific model ordered in a Deluxe finish actually made it easy for me to decide which of the two cars was more worthy of having the seats. I'm sorry that this 58 lost its interior but the guy didn't seem to be too bothered as he wanted to upgrade it anyway. I certainly put the pressure on him because I believe it was important to restore the unusual look of my car with otherwise all correct parts and upholstery of the period and type to match.
It's not the first time parts from a rare car have been sacrificed to help another one which might happen to be even a little rarer.
This said, I don't know why you interfere with this subject in this section since all you keep telling us (over and over and over again for that matter!) is how there is only one valid and unsurpassed model in your eyes anyway, a not-so-shiny standard split window...something we've been reading from you time and time again.:lol:
Talking of original cars, I wouldn't say that all your cars excel in this domain, would you? So don't go throwing stones when you're standing in a glass house please...Thank you:wink:
Standard split
15 years ago
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is not what this forum is for.

I'm signing out :evil:
48REME
15 years ago

:
:

Standard split wrote:

So true... but then again, you should have thought about it before sharing your thoughts.:evil:
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago
Wouldn't it be nice if someone bought this and put it back to original? :d

Nice, but I doubt it will happen! :cry:

VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago
This is how the same standard used to look...

austrian 58 std.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

48REME
15 years ago
Yes and I think it wouldn't take too much work really. I wonder if the next owner will appreciate its rarity enough to return it to its proper spec.:wink:
54 Gertie
15 years ago
All it would really take to make it look stock would be a set of bumpers, proper seats, a 30 horse engine, split case non syncro tranny, proper steel wheels, new braking system, probably new front beam (might be on spindles however!)......

Okay quite a long list but do-able! :d :wink:

Oh! and go and break into Nicholas's car and steal the seats! :lol: :beer:
William
harveypj
15 years ago
It would probably be pretty much self financing too. Sell all the custom bits to buy the original stuff:d

Stock......the new custom
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago
Yep, as I said above the hardest bit would be finding some seats.
But Euro-cloth std seats do turn up for sale from time to time.

54 Gertie
15 years ago

Yep, as I said above the hardest bit would be finding some seats.
But Euro-cloth std seats do turn up for sale from time to time.

VW Stan wrote:

At very worst you could fit deluxe seats with new (standard) covers and use those until you found some correct ones! Just to get it moving! :wink:

The rails are already hacked so they should fit! :lol:
William
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago

At very worst you could fit deluxe seats with new (standard) covers and use those until you found some correct ones! Just to get it moving! :wink:

The rails are already hacked so they should fit! :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

You can't get the std spec cloth. That's why Nicholas has the seats from this car!

Grey vinyl, like the UK std interiors, would look okay until the right seats turned up.

54 Gertie
15 years ago

You can't get the std spec cloth. That's why Nicholas has the seats from this car!

Grey vinyl, like the UK std interiors, would look okay until the right seats turned up.

VW Stan wrote:

Do Himmelservice not do it? :?
William
mrsherbie
15 years ago

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm signing out :evil:

Standard split wrote:

Noo!

I dont think what you wrote was bad at all! It is great the seats went into a perfect car just missing one or 2 odd bits of course, they could so easily have been lost or stripped instead! but I understand your comment also that this cal-looked car was super too before the guy de-original'd it.
But he did, and the best outcome of the 2 options happened to the seats! as I am certain you would agree :d

The car lasted all those years intact and in the just last 2-3 it came to the uk and got sacrificed at the alter of instant 'cool'. The lack of trim makes standards an ideal candidate for cal- look unfortunately, I am suprised a couple more have'nt gone the same way actually!
Anyway I am sure it could be put back easily, but I doubt it will as the majority of the buying public will not understand its special standard value and prefer it in its new look.

Something I still dont get after all these years, magazine feature after magazine feature, people tell us how the car featured was incredibly original and intact! one owner low mileage! etc etc blah blah, like they are actually 'proud' of and truly appreciate these features! but then in the very next paragraph start on about how they then set about fitting a load of modifications, engine, gearbox, modern made beam and suspension, new repro wheels ( hardly difficult to do) etc etc and by the end of the article actually seem proud of the car they have turned it into instead?? I still dont get it. But I guess it just makes the world go round.

Starting with a car that needs any level of restoring is one thing, do whatever you like with it!!

But, buying a mint original untouched car and then 'touching' it by simply throwing a load of off the shelf aftermarket crap parts at it, does'nt make it a better car it makes it worse. Its just the easy way. And should'nt really be 'rewarded'. Of course not nearly so bad if you do keep all the og parts, but usually they get sold to pay for the made in Taiwan bling bling new parts.
Rant over.
:lol:

standard split, maybe I can knit your car a 'car cosy' to make it smile! :shock: :d

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann