54 Gertie
13 years ago

That is a little odd with those dates being so far apart. However, I wouldn't worry. If the car's numbers match on the sales invoice, then it's a matching numbers car.

Look forward to hearing from you later on. You can always give me a call later on after you've inspected it if you need a second opinion on anything! Good luck!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thanks, this was Martins opinion too so we weren't all that worried. Thanks for the offer, sadly the car was tucked in the corner or the auction house and all the doors and bonnet etc locked by the time we got there.

It does need some work underneath, including some small repairs to the lower leading edge to the left rear wing, nothing really, both heater channel end plates were very flakey and slightly holed. The front looked immaculate, not that we got to see under the bonnet.

A torch and a peer through the windows revealed the interior to be all correct and nice, the seats look to have never been sat on. The rubber mats were all present and correct, but the drivers floor mat was shot.

The paint on the whole was far better than I was expecting, with only small blemishes and rust spots, with the occasional ding. They had clearly had a half hearted attempt of cleaning and waxing it, but im sure it would have come up far nicer with some hours spent.

The rear valence has not been clearanced for the twin tailpipe exhaust, they simply exit a lot lower than a '56- car.

The only real downsides really were the few bits of rust, the LHS door was not as good a fit as the perfect drivers door, but that was about it. Just a slightly tatty but well loved early beetle.

We were standing right by what turned out to be the highest bidder, he said afterwards (to someone else) that it will 'Soon be back to Ireland' or similar. Shame as it will loose it's original plates.

Didn't get to see any of the paperwork that was with the car, but did get to see the photo (large and framed) or the Austin 10 that was traded in for the car in '55.

Never mind, have just got back in, shame to have not got it, but that was far more than we were willing to pay for that car. I was going to say it went for more than it's worth in my eyes, but that's stupid, it's proven to be worth at least £9.5K (+the buyers premium!).

All in all, lovely car, just hope it doesn't just get 'lost' as it makes it's move to Ireland.

William
54 Gertie
13 years ago

To.....anyone we know?

55Kab wrote:

Still none the wiser Martin, the guy left the auction house and promptly went back in the front entrance amongst a crowd of people and we didn't get a chance for any 'discreet interrogation'.

Will post up some photos of the oval in the car park for your records' in a minute.

:beer:
William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
It was a real time-warp car and better than I was expecting based on the restricted viewing we had. By the time we got there the auction was running and the car completely locked, so we had to crawl around underneath with torches while hoping we wouldn't get trodden on!

Apart from what's already been mentioned/shown in pictures, the only other slight negative was rusted out headlamp tubes. The underneath was really solid and everything [underneath] looked to be perfectly straight. From what I saw I'd bet that even the heaters worked. Was nice to see it had what was possibly the original screw terminal starter motor. The auctioneer mentioned the car came seat covers (not fitted) so that possibly explains why the seats were in near perfect condition.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Shame you missed out on the car. I think I know who the new owner is but will be able to confirm that soon.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
That car really grew on me the more I looked at it. It wasn't faultless but it was very unmolested. In some ways I rather regret not making the effort to get there early enough to have a look inside and under the bonnet etc. I think that if I had, I would have tried harder to own it but I was determined not to let my heart rule my head! 😳 I'm still wondering just how much the winning bidder was prepared to go to and, perhaps more importantly, what his plans are for the car.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
cupa65
13 years ago
No doubt the car was extremely original, but as we all know once you get out the screw driver alittle hole becomes a big one.
I think over £10k for an unmolested car has done everyone a favour, as the high value must reflect on other original cars.
I suppose to get the best VFM out of the car is to just wax it up and use it.:wink:
Sunroof53
13 years ago
It sounds like an insane amount of money for a car that could need a lot a work ,but the good thing (i hope)is that it appears to have gone to someone who appreciates it for what it is, so it will probably stay stock.It is good that the the price has kept it out of reach for someone intending to modify it but at the same time too much for me to buy 😞
Ovalbug
13 years ago
Whilst the car very probably has gone to a good home, am a bit sad if the new home is in Eire as that means the car will be exported and the original number plate, an integral part of the cars history,will be lost.
Am I alone in thinking that the price reached wasn't too bad at all?

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

As you say its good news its hopefully in good hands.The History that comes with the car is great, therefore imho people were always going to bid that little bit higher.As I said, just my opinion:wink:
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Whilst the car very probably has gone to a good home, am a bit sad if the new home is in Eire as that means the car will be exported and the original number plate, an integral part of the cars history,will be lost.....

Ovalbug wrote:

More likely the plate sold off to recoup some of the £10k this oval has cost.:evil:

I'm not surprised at the selling price, and its an investment at that. I'd sooner be aiming for a split once into 5 figure sums though.
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!