Marco Poli
13 years ago
Hi Everyone

I have several VW Beetles ranging from pre 60's to pre 65. I attach herewith several photographs of my 1966 RHD, deluxe sea blue 1200cc which still has its original engine. The registration number is BSL 682 D with its original number plates. The log book states the following:-

1. Engine no: 9593224
2. Chassis no: 115809570
3. Date of reg in UK: 6 July 1966
4. Date of first reg: 6 July 1966

I would like to know if this car was originally a swedish import as it came with an original steering lock, ash tray and Blaupunkt radio, It does not have any ignition barrel. The speedo is in KM and the current reading is 76,140km. The car is running on its original king pin front axle.

I met an old man recently who advised me that he knew the car and advised that it previously had different bumper blades. I can only assume it previously had US spec bumpers.

The floor pan is in very good condition and justs need a good paint and waxoyl. I have ordered all new rubbers, trim and door seal rubbers etc. I have also ordered a complete new headcloth which should be fitted within the next few weeks. The sun visor and grab handle are quite mouldy. Does anyone know of a good cleaning solution to use?

The car is now running on 12 volt electrics instead of its original 6 volt. The next thing I need to do is fit new carpets and the interior work.

I am currently looking for original good chrome swan neck driverside front door hinge mount mirror with all the bits etc. Hopefuly someone will be able to help.

I originally thought I was the only VW nut but I have been proved wrong.

I will keep the forum updated on its restoration.

Thanks for a great website.

Many thanks

Marco:smile:

VW BEETLE - PICUTRES FOR PRE67 FORUM 002.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  VW BEETLE - PICUTRES FOR PRE67 FORUM 006.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  VW BEETLE - PICUTRES FOR PRE67 FORUM 003.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  VW BEETLE - PICUTRES FOR PRE67 FORUM 005.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  VW BEETLE - PICUTRES FOR PRE67 FORUM 004.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  VW BEETLE - PICUTRES FOR PRE67 FORUM 010.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Sounds a good car! I've also got a rhd swedish import 59, which also has a slightly different form of Ignition Lock(Niemann). I believe they had to have steering locks by law,although someone may prove me wrong?

Keep us posted:smile: