12 years ago

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Excellent!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
12 years ago
:thumbup:
Stock......the new custom
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
Brilliant!

Sadly, this car was allowed to just disappear wasn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it shipped back to Australia after it's service in the Antarctic, rallied used as a publicity vehicle and then lost into obscurity?

I guess there's an outside possibilty that it might still be out there somewhere...

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Ivan
12 years ago
The original was indeed rallied after it got back to Australia. And it actually won the 1964 BP Rally! Interestingly, a homage/reproduction of the car was built by Aussie VW fans, Ray black, Steve Müller and Bill Moore from the Sydney area and was fitted with replicas of the parts fitted to the original car with repros of the ANARE decals on the doors.
The car was shipped to Germany and shown at Bed Camberg along with a fully restored Type 118 Country Buggy (Australian Built).
Whilst researching the project the trio found Ray McMahon the leader of the Expedition and he help with details on the car. The car was known as The Red Terror. Neither car returned to Australia, as both cars were sold just after Camberg.

I wrote a very in-depth feature on Antarctica 1 in VolksWorld June 2004.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
:beer:

Andy W  neu00100yz.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.